Thank you Sridhargaru for the valueable insight on Holy scriptures, treasure of Sanatana Dharma!
Summary: scriptures classified as:.
Matter/truth – Holy scriptures, truth and indisputable.
Info about truth – God, permanence, describing creation.
Untruth – coming out due to ignorance of truth. Interpretation without thorough knowledge.
Vedas – 4 kinds. Contain knowledge about creator and creation, aspect of time, lokas, vedic gods, mantras, human & moral values, dharma etc. Vedas emerged after the 14 lokas were formed and Mt. Kailash emerged. Before human existence, Rudra his deities landed followed by maharishis, who did Tapas for centuries to uncover truth and were the actual ‘Seers’ of Vedas.
Maharishis categorized these homogeneously for humanity to utilize the knowledge. Vyasa Maharishi (descendant of Vishnu) compiled vedas. He dictated to Ganapathi to write them.
Vedas wee seen thru conciousness by Maharshis and also communicated thru concience with each other via meditation. As years passed, there was the need to be transmitted thru mind. Guru Parampara passed this along thru recitation and later the need for documentation.
Among many only some shakas are available today A lifetime falls short to read vedas. Therefore it is important to learn the essence and wisdom of vedas.
Shastras – education of dharma, kriya, karma, rituals, code of conduct etc.
Aranyakas – explains reason behind each ritual.
Brahmans – commentaries on rituals.
Puranas – contain history and facts , is not fiction. 18 mahapuranas like ramayan, mahabharata etc..historical events of maharishis, kings and dharma.
Bramhasutras – talk about aspects of bondage, liberation, muklti and moksha.
Iham and param are both covered in dharma shastras for material living and after life.
Upanishads – 108. They describe pure spirituality referencing shakas of vedas. Covers concepts of spirituality and yoga.
BhagawadGita : Compendium of Upanishads. Can be called fifth veda. while all the above are given by maharishi, gita was given by God himself as a summary and approval of upanishads.
Patanjalisyogasutras : Amsa of Adisesha, he descended in Kashmir, did penance in south india spread knowledge of upanishads thru yoga for Aryans following Sanatana Dharma and he compiled all the yoga sutras for Tapas.
Vedantanta : while Vedas talks about how to live, vedanta is the end of Vedas where upanishads begin and talks about how to leave.
UttaraGita : Krishna preaching Arjuna about Yoga and sadhana for attaining truth.
- follow a proven path Sanatana Dharma without digressing to avoid wastage of time.
- Guru helps in imparting the essence and wisdom of Vedas in the shortest time and safest method without the disciple having to learn Vedas.
- Trusting the divinity in Guru is the key. This disciplines budhi to follow a path.
- Silencing thoughts arising in the mind allows vedic wisdom to spark in the concience.
- to silence mind, disown thoughts. Reiterate to yourself you are the jeevatma and not the body/mind. See the body from the soul.
- Guru could grace the knowledge of Vedas in a minute which takes lifetimes to gain otherwise, as was done by Rudra to Maharshi Parashara!🙏